GeoCarta Has Moved

Feb 28, 2006

U.S. Representative Vows To Fight USGS Decision To Close Rolla Office

A done deal is never really a done deal when politicians are involved I guess. The Rolla Daily News reports today that U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R-MO) says she is going to ask the Government Accountability Office to investigate the decision by the United States Geological Survey (USGS) to close its Rolla mapping center. According to the News, Rep. Emerson also plans to ask the Secretary of Interior to put the consolidation plan on hold until that investigation is complete.

The request for the investigation is the latest attempt to modify the decision to locate the USGS's National Geospatial Technical Operations Center in Denver, Colorado. The consolidation plan calls for the Rolla office to be closed in September. Meeting with a group of USGS employees, Rep. Emerson said that she will attempt to use her position on the on the powerful House Appropriations Committee to try and stall the move.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd put my money on the USGS moving it's operations to Denver, despite Rep. Emerson's efforts. I'm not alone in my thinking either, the News says that Rolla USGS employees are “hoping for the best but preparing for the worst."

See also:
Budget Cuts May Cost USGS Jobs
USGS Mapping Center Appears Headed To Denver
Investigation Of USGS Move Continues